Saturday, February 8, 2014

Watering Plants in Wonderful Apartments

My friends have wonderful apartments.  I feel so privileged and pretend-rich that i get to stay in them. 
My friend Nicky is earthly and she keeps her spaces adorned with plants, terrariums and greenery.
My friend Jeff is an automobile engineer.  His apartment looks out upon the steel and concrete Chicago skyline.





I would love to branch out into some weirder neighborhoods.  Spend a week on Goose Island, or maybe a weekend in the center of the loop.  Does anyone know of a spare bedroom in Chinatown?

For now, I'm writing from the jet fuel-scented, tessellated fabric of window seat 20F.  AA flight 86 is firing up its giant engines to Bernoulli me off to the California desert faster than the planet turns below.
I'm headed to Los Angeles to produce some timeless beer commercials.  Its cathartic to be purposefully engaged and occupied by dense work.  Also, viscerally, its good to be changing climates for a little while. Chicago's winter has been industrial, and it will be good to exercise outside.

I've been doing a lot of thinking about what it will be like to sleep in the harbor this summer.  While I'm in Southern California I'm going to pay a visit to my friend Webb.  He fundamentally understands the value of simplicity.  He has been living his way and writing about life since before I was on the planet.
Webb has long maintained an online journal of his own.

No comments:

Post a Comment