Thursday, May 7, 2015

Preparations for Summer

Spring is here and Chicago is subtly warmer.  The wind is still blowing cold, but its sunny, and Chicagoans are making preparations.  Pools are opening on downtown rooftops.  Bars are breaking out the patio gear.  And I'm preparing to haul my boat back in the water.

DISCO has spent the winter in "dry-dock" in a boatyard in Waukegan, Illinois.
These past weekends Ross Gerber, Dan Monico, Cary Cochrane, and I have spent hours up there bottom-painting with anti-fouling paint, rebuilding the winches and working our way down a list general repairs.  Tomorrow the boatyard will haul DISCO back into their harbor.

Chicago's Harbors officially open this weekend. The first real warmth is forecast.  So, with a north wind and a following sea, We'll sail DISCO the 39 miles south to Monroe Harbor, and hook onto our mooring for the summer.

The sail back-south to Chicago is something to look forward to.  Eight hours port-to-port; It'll be choppy seas, but blue skies.  The air and the lake will be cold, but the food will be hot.  We'll fire up the stove and do ramen noodles, and pan-fried sandwiches.  Ross will bring cheese.

This past six months I've worked a dense schedule: producing commercials, taking photos, and finishing my documentary.  But, summer is almost here, and I'm glad to be prepared.  Sailboat trips, outdoor concerts and distant wedding weekends are appearing on the calendar.

I'm planning on staying in my small apartment through May, then I'll give it up to my friend Jim Ramirez.  Jim recently returned to Chicago, from Australia for his endless summer.
I'll move back aboard the sailboat beneath the skyscrapers.






No comments:

Post a Comment