Monday, October 27, 2014

Epilogue

It has been one year since I left behind my condo.
I've travelled, slept on couches, lived in five different Chicago neighborhoods, and spent the summer living aboard a sailboat.

Six months ago I sailed into Monroe Harbor.  DISCO was one of the first boats in the harbor, and will probably be the last to leave.  I've applied for a "Late Leaver" Permit, allowing me to moor downtown until November 15th, when I'll sail north for a boatyard in Waukegan, and have DISCO hauled out for the winter.
I'll move my few possessions into a small studio apartment downtown. A three-block-walk from my office at Leo Burnett.. keeps things simple.

It has been quite a summer.  I've toured the harbors of downtown Chicago,  the remote islands of northern Lake Michigan and Door County.  I've sailed through dense fog, and lightning storms,  And hosted some excellent parties at sea.

Photos of the summer here:  SV DISCO, Summer 2014

The harbors mostly empty now, I've moved DISCO from our normal mooring in Monroe Harbor, to a vacant pier in nearby Burnham Harbor.  I'll spend these last 20 days tied up to a Dock, with the luxuries of added shelter from the November gales, connected-shore power, and a small space heater.

I'm feeling a happy nostalgia for the past year.   A lot has happened.  I've done some great projects, meet some great new people, had eye-opening adventures, and woken up in some interesting places.

Today looked back, and read my first entry into this journal.  Written a year ago today, in which I
"imagined myself a year from now, maybe living aboard an old sloop of my own.  Exploring Lake Michigan as late into the autumn as I'm able.  Sleeping at anchor, enjoying the purple and yellow lights of the skyline buildings.  Alone, on my own private island in a Chicago harbor."

Dream realized.

That's all for now.













2 comments:

  1. That last paragraph gave me the chills. A man. A plan. A lake. SV Disco.

    I'm proud of you and proud to be a part of this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, Christopher. Keep doggedly pursuing your dreams while they are clear and present. Much love.

    ReplyDelete